Friday, February 4, 2011

Allyson Garro, the owner and creator of Coco Coquette

Are there some days you just look in the mirror and need to tap into your inner-diva? It happens to me all the time, especially when I realize my hair is looking somethin' crazy and I'm in same yoga pants as yesterday.

Well, that's when its time to walk straight into the magical world of Coco Coquette and get yourself a beauty treat. Allyson Garro has created a gorgeous den of diva-ness tucked away in a little bungalow cottage on East Cesar Chavez. In her studio shop, you will find absolutely stunning hand-crafted wigs she has created locally-made jewelry, fanciful head-dresses... and let's not forget a wonderful palette of make-up and perfumes.


I first encountered Coco Coquette during a fabulous Girls Night Out, where all the girls were fitted for hand-selected wigs and got their make-up done by professional make-up artist Mahshad Valiki of Big Bang Collective. It was one of the funnest nights I've had in a long, long time. (The next time you need an idea for Girl's Night Out, take this recommendation. You will not be disappointed.)

But back to Allyson Garro. 
What makes a sweet, uber-creative girl like Allyson tick? 

Let's find out:

Necessary extravagance
The three Ps: Organic Produce, Pedicures and Prosecco!

Favorite color
I'm beige to the bone.  Is that weird?  My favorite color is such a non- color.  I also like peach, brown and gold... which I think are all distant cousins of beige.

Favorite gadget
Teasing comb and a hot glue gun - I'm lo-tech.

Favorite dessert
A fresh young coconut, a spoon, a straw and a butcher knife.

Favorite ingredient
Love.  And truffle oil.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
There is a lot of love in my life.  My best friend of almost 12 years, a Rottweiler named Violet, just passed and I am feeling her absence every day.  Romantically, my boyfriend Greg Rhoades is my greatest love!  I'm very close to my family, too, and then there's the matter of being blessed with friends who I am in awe of on a daily basis... Group hug! 
((UPDATE:: Allyson just got engaged on recent trip to Costa Rica. ❤ Many Congrats!!))

If you were to do and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
A unicorn, of course!  I'd like to prance around all day, chasing rainbows and jumping through waterfalls and leaving my hoofprints in the freshly fallen snow in some enchanted forest. 

What do you value most in your friends?
Imagination, daring and playfulness

What is your favorite item of clothing?
I'm a big fan of the City Wide Garage Sale, especially on Sunday afternoons when the vendors are dumping their wares at crazy low prices.  I bought this cream colored (borderline beige) oversized wool cardigan with gold buttons for $1 and I wear it everyday.  It makes me look like an old man, but I combat that look with red lipstick.

So there you have it!

Allyson of Coco Coquette is meant to be your new best friend. She's funny, nurturing, good with kids and super-duper creative. You must purchase yourself a little something special from Coco Coquette and unleash the diva from within!

But wait... there's more. 
Get a fix of Coco Coquette during their upcoming event!


12 Designers, 12 Dancers, 12 Twisted Love Themes

Hosted by infamous New Orleans' MC, the insatiable Chris Lane!

Doors at 8, show at 9
Tix $8

The Designers (In Show Order)
Tina Sparkles
House of Space
Jen Rea of Team Fabrication
Amanda Martinez
Katinka Pinka
Lovecraft Vintage
Louise Black
Shari Gerstenberger
Teddy Darling
Curry Beth
Chia

Lingerie by Teddies For Bettys!

Special Performance by MC Sweet Tea!

...more fabulous wigs created by Coco Coquette...






2 comments:

  1. What a fun night that was. The magical world of wigs... and women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A true girls night: cupcakes, prosecco and wigs for a fabulous transformation. Thank you Alyson for your vision, I love my wigs! Anna

    ReplyDelete